Friday, April 1, 2011

Mythical Inaccuracies in the Movies -- Clash of the Titans (2010), Part 1

It's no secret to nearly everyone I know that Greek mythology is my passion (that and Disney Princesses). So, naturally, it upsets me when the movie industry screws the stories up. Unfortunately, this happens in pretty much every movie that's made about any mythology. Greek, Roman, Arabic, Egyptian, Christian; you name it, it's probably been butchered.

One such case, and probably one of the worst, is the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans.


When I first saw this movie, I was extremely excited to see it. I thought this was going to be one of the best movies of the year.

I was extremely disappointed within the first five minutes of the movie. I wanted to leave the theatre within the next twenty minutes, the only things keeping me there were my father and the awesome special effects.

Now that I have my own laptop to carry around with my at school, I could critic the movie after I finished my school work. I joked around with my friends and family, telling them I would nitpick all of the mythical errors out of the movie. A while back I got bored enough to actually begin the project. I thought that, after the first few minutes, the inaccuracies would stop because the explaining would be done. I was horribly wrong, of course (though the majority of the inaccuracies ARE within the first ten-twenty minutes).

I really wish I could tell you that it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be, but that's unfortunately not true. The whole movie is about 95 minutes (without the credits) long. The inaccuracies? Five away from being 1 per minute. And that's without me really nitpicking at it. Granted, I only watched to movie once all the way through for this project, but still, 90?


For your enjoyment, I've decided to post the list here. However, since there are so many, I'm going to be diving it into parts. I'm not quite sure how to divide it, though. For this post, I think I'll just have the first 15, and move on from there.

I hope you have lots of free time on your hands.




EDIT: I don't know how I forgot to put this in there: Argos did indeed play a roll in the myth of Perseus, it was were King Acrisius ruled. After Perseus killed his grandfather by accident, he did not claim Argos as his kingdom, as was his birthright. Instead, ashamed because of the murder, he gave Argos to Megapenthes. Perseus went on to found Mykenai.

Do forgive me for the quality of the photos, especially since they are so hard to read. I'll probably post some others, hopefully easier to read, tomorrow afternoon.

Call me a nerd, a geek, a loser, go ahead and tell me that a I have no life, troll me, send me hate mail, and all of that. I don't care. This was actually really fun for me.

2 comments:

  1. This is really awesome. I've always complained about how ridiculously inaccurate this movie is and it's really great that you took the time to go through the process of correcting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... I'm the exact same way when it comes to mythological movies and all that fun stuff... But I'm doing a project for my Ancient History final where I have to nitpick at a movie and find historical inaccuracies and this post literally saved my life.

    ReplyDelete