Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mythical Inaccuracies in the Movies -- CotT (2010) Part 4




And that concludes this edition of Mythical Inaccuracies in the Movies.

Normally I'd be able to put aside the inaccuracies and actually enjoy the movie, but there was one thing about this certain movie. I read in the trivia section of its imdb profile that Sam Worthington, the actor who plays Perseus, took this role because he wanted his young (I believe nine years old) nephew to have an accurate, good mythological movie in his generation.

I'm not trying to be mean here, though I am rather frustrated that this is acceptable in society. The ancient myths that were told by our ancient ancestors are just fine the way they are. Sure, not much happens on Perseus's flight to Medusa's lair, but the overall myth itself s one my absolute favorite myths. Nothing is wrong with them, very little about them needs to be tweaked. They are fine on their own.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting all these mistakes. If you wonder if anyone read them all - yes I did. This movie is so horrible I couldn't watch it, had to turn it off and search for the correct version of the myth. And that's only changes to the myth you pointed out, there are actually many more mistakes. At time period described there were no coins, no Roman armor (with 6-pack on it!), haircut is ridiculous etc. Really you could tell the movie was not created by those who loved the myth or were fascinated with Ancient Greece. The only Hollywood movie about Greeks that I liked is Troy. If you know a better one - I'd be glad to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete