Sunday, January 23, 2011

Art is A Slut (Anyone Can Do It)

Well, I woke this morning to a journal update from everyones one of my favorite artists/writers on deviantART. After hour upon hours of begging and pleading for me to copy-paste this message here, she FINALLY agreed.

I'm just kidding, I bet she didn't expect me to actually copy-paste it, though. :P


So here it is, it may or may not b slightly abridged (just kidding, or am I?):


I'm really sorry I'm not replying to all of your reviews lately but it's because I've been a bit busy as said before. I'm reading all notes and comments and still and I plan to get on them as soon the "doctor marathon" ends. For now, I decided to show you some funny stuff.
Actually, how come you people didn't like laugh at my last blog? Sure it was huge but it was like super funny. LAUGH NOW PEOPLE :iconraegplz:!
Anyway, I know loads of you like my work though I'm not really sure on the *WHY* and I love that a big amount my followers are 16 or under (that's a very pedophile thing to say, isn't it?) because you are all either starting to get the hand of it or you are just beginning. I know how it can be particularly hard at this point because sometimes you feel like there is no progress and you have these images in your head that simply won't match with the final results.
Here's a reality about drawing:
a)There's no limit to the "awesomeness" of an artist. You can always improve. 
b) You know how people will say "I can't draw, I don't have a gift." - That's shit. It's not about gift; the "gift" for arts is how imaginative or creative you are; how you can mix colors and get good concepts and good art - this is the gift -now, when it comes to the execution and the "know how" -it has NOTHING, I repeat: NOTHING to do with talent. Is a matter of patience. 

I used to draw in notebooks -sure, not only school notebooks, all sorts of notebooks and papers and all that - but I also bought random notebooks specifically to draw on them. Then, I'd draw a person on each page, or two people or whatever it was I was practicing and I'd be happy with the results (luckily back then there was no such thing as DeviantArt and I wasn't aware of how much I sucked in comparison to others) and then months later, I'd use the space left on the pages to do the same drawing I had done before.
And I could clearly see the improvement.

We all feel bad when we compare our art to other people whose work we love what we seem to be unable to understand is that we probably won't ever be like the artists we love, but that's A GOOD THING. Anyone can learn to write and anyone can learn to draw, but just like our handwriting, it doesn't matter how much we copy one artist, our identity will always be there because we have our own style.

So, I'm not saying that "anyone can learn to draw, it's easy" -what I'm really saying is that "anyone who commits enough of their time can develop their own style and improve from it". I'm also not saying that because "it's your style" you don't need to study some basics like anatomy or shadowing or anything; as I said at the beginning:
There's never a limit to the awesomeness.

So choose an artist (or more than one artist) and start from there. Say "I wanna be like them, I wanna be able to do this!" and work and work and work and work and when you feel like it's not being worth it, don't do like everyone else that says "I don't have a gift", just say "I don't have patience." - because everyone can do art. 

The same way you need to be a good reader to be a good writer, you need to know art to make good art -and you have to understand that there are so many different styles, there are many different ways to be "good" at drawing. Have you checked my favorite artists list? It says Dr. Seuss, Alphonse Mucha, Milo Manara and Charles Schullz. 

They are not exactly similar. 

And let's not get started with Manga, right? There's Clamp -whose anatomy skills and styles change from artist to artist and are always breath taking; there's Hayao Miyasaki, who's an animation genius and has quite a simple style for beginners and, there's also Masakazu Katsura who, to me, is god on earth since he's my favorite mangaka of all. This not to mention Ai Yazawa, Chiho Saito, Naoko Takeuchi...

Look, the main point of this pointless post is that we all have goals and we all have to start at some point, I'm hardly where I want to be (believe me; you don't wanna see me drawing animals or coloring things by hand - I get close to tears) and I wanna keep on going. I don't see the artists that inspired me long ago as much as I used to see before but, as a response, I've reached something I would not get if I had just kept copying and never tried mixing all sorts of arts: I got something that is mine.

You know how I'm always talking about :iconpuchusenpai: ? So, as I said before, back in my time :granny: there was no such thing as DeviantArt so, to me, it was either "you're so good you can have your own tv show" or "you suck at drawing" but then I met her. A person who was just like me (Except a lot more talented) and, even though I had been drawing all my life, seeing there was a realperson that could do what she did, kinda hit something inside my head:
"It's humanly possible."

You know, it's kinda the same feeling you get when you read Twilight and you think "Oh yeah, anything can get published these days! I could do that too!" :iconstudmuffinplz: 

So, I'm very happy that you're all young and beginning and that I can be here to, maybe, be your very own :iconpuchusenpai: - I'm not that big of an artist, I don't make money out of it and I had to learn everything from scratch just like you all. So, here are some funny picture I'd like to share to prove my point.

Puchu's dream was to draw like Clamp (more specifically like Mokona Apapa -responsible for Rayearth, X, Tokyo Babylon and such), can you see how much of them there is in her art?



Those eyes are undeniably clampish.

Now, as for me, I had taken upon me a bit of a harder task, lol. I wanted to be like Katsura who, in case you don't know, developed Video Girl Ai, I's and many others -his style is an hybrid of human and manga and his backgrounds are to die for.

I'd say "I hope he dies" but I love him too much for that. 

You know my gallery, you can always tell I'm more on the human side than on the actual manga side, right? I had a bunch of inspirations though, that's probably why I think my art ended up so weird. My chibi expressions come from reading too much Ken Akamtsu (Love Hina) while their shapes are inspired by Masami Tsuda's KareKano , my eyes are so simple I could blame Rumiko Takahashi (InuYasha and Ranma 1/2) but they are small so we go back to Katsura. Then there's the coloring; which is my weakest link. I still dream of one day doing the sort of thing MayumiYokoyama, Miwa Weda and Naoko Takeuchi do and, honestly, I highly doubt I'll get anywhere near that. 

I wanna have the ability to write stories like Bryan Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim) and to execute them gracefully to the point where I can make people cry like Natsuki Takaya (Oh, Fruits Basket <3)! Just like you all, I'm still just beginning.

The difference, of course, is that I'm older and will die sooner. 

Anyway, as to prove my point and to reward you all for getting to this point here are some cool drawings...by the me of yesteryears: 

 (my stupid friend :iconpuchusenpai: has being posting them lately and I'm so getting her for that. This here is just a sketch from a few years ago like, I don't know, three to five years ago or something...We both draw so usually we just go out and make this type of thing, it's even drawn with a ballpoint pen.

Then, there's this one (you can totally see the K2R vibe in this), I did when we were both in high school, I think I was 14:

 We used to joke that Puchu could never get a boyfriend (well, I used to joke about that, she'd just get pissed off. I remember once throwing her a surprise birthday party with a sign that said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY - I can't believe you're 19 and still single. Sucks to be you, right?") so I used to say I'd be her Video Girl (in case you don't know the plot for the manga, a girl comes out from the video and tries to help you with your love life) but since I sucked at love, I'd always ruin her chances at getting relationships. 
Most Video Girl names were like "Ai - I'll comfort you", "Len - I'll help you find love") - My title - in Portuguese - was a Brazilian slang that went something like (in a very ghetto way) "T-chan - Brace yourself, it's happening sooner or later)". 


And THEN here comes the really ugly stuff, from when I was THIRTEEN, just a year previously to this "not so bad yet hideous things I just posted): 


outgoing.jpg
Photobucket

So, basically, what I'm trying to say to anyone who survived this post is that; the girl who LESS THAN ten years ago drew the drag queen above, just posted these three pieces to her gallery:





And, this one under her traditional art gallery:



So, really, if you have patience, you might not get exactly where you wanted, but you will get somewhere new and better because it's all yours. 

Love,
Thatu

P.S.: And I love you all, my watchers - and I want you all to keep drawing and making progress because I keep track of your art and I love recognizing your OC's on drawings and even more recognizing your own styles. I'm an old lady, I get happy with this sort of thing.
Well, with that and with the medication I take regularly to keep me happy and shiny like a unicorn. :iconharmonyharmonyplz: . So maybe it's drugs talking, or maybe is the fact that I'll be turning 22 really soon but I just felt like telling you all to keep doing what you're doing and do a little bit more 'cause life is just like RPG - but without the elves and werewolves (which kinda sucks) but it's all about gathering XP at each new battle.

I'm already embarrassed of the art I posted less than a year ago, like the PJatO boys and PJatO girls looking sharp and feel like redoing them, you know? Progress comes really fast -it's scary. 

And I won't even get started on the whole "writing in English" thing - did you know that I only started learning English by the age of Twelve? It's going to be ten years since I first started my English course and here I am. Patience, people, PATIENCE. 
And effort. Loads and loads of effort.



My favorite part was the unicorn. :B


So, Miss Thatu/Thaís/Anyothernameyougoby, did you actually expect me to post this?


You can see Thatu's art, fanfiction, rantings, and other here.
Oh, and donate to her if you can. Because she's awesome and deserves it. :B


Also, the title is hers, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment